Kevin Israel may be on his period…
Operation Christmas Drop (2020)
- Congressional aide Erica forgoes family Christmas to travel at her boss’s behest. At a beachside Air Force base, she clashes with Capt. Andrew Jantz , who knows her assignment is finding reasons to defund the facility.
- This is a Netflix movie that has all the quality of a Lifetime movie. It really makes me long for actual new releases in the theater. C’mon Hollywood. My wife was watching this one and I only caught the last half, but even that was too much. This cheesey, poorly written trash heap telegraphed each and every turn it took. There were no surprises, no chemistry, and no fun. it actually made me hope they cancel Christmas. Yuck!
Kevin Gootee’s movies
- Fisher King 1991- Maybe it’s just me and I find Terry Gilliam insanely overrated. I remember my parents told me they walked out of this when it was in the theater. And now I know why. Robin Williams is a delusion homeless man who thinks he’s on the quest for the grail. Jeff Bridges pre lymphoma (get better Flynn!) is a recently fired shock jock and is a brooding asshole. The recipe tastes like gasoline mixed in with asparagus piss. Turned it off after 45 minutes. 1/10
- Insomnia 2004- Al Pacino goes to Alaska during the summer where it’s daylight till the wee hours and he’s unable to fall asleep. Oh yeah, he’s trying to catch a murderer that offed a high school girl. Saw it in the theater, was quite ambivalent about it. Rewatched it again, feel the same way. Man, Nolan has become hit or miss now which is sad…4.5/10
- Alien 1979 and Aliens 1986- Goddamn, these are as near perfect as possible. The first one should be taught as an exercise in tension building. Fantastic story and for the time, the special effects were amazing. The alien was a little dicey in the first but James Cameron got his special effects team in there and made it awe-inspiring. I prefer the second one only because there is wayyyyy more action and more colorful characters than the first. But both are absolutely essential watches and re-watches. 9/10 for the duo.
- Queen and Slim 2019- Kind of like a black Bonnie and Clyde but they didn’t rob banks, they got into a tussle with a racist cop during a traffic stop and then killed the cop. So they go across the country on the lam while black people across the nation supports them. Pretty good story and moves at a pretty good pace. A bit heavy handed at times but it certainly plays into today’s current climate. 6.5/10
- Top Secret 1984- Saw this years ago, hated it. News update, nothing has changed. And this is from the guys who brought you Naked Gun (1 of my all time favorites) and Airplane. But this made Airplane 2 look like Beverly Hills Cop. Val Kilmer plays an Elvis-esque rock and roll singer going through East Germany and stumbles into a spy mission that’s just awful. Forget that, the “jokes” are just fucking terrible and beyond lazy. I couldn’t even tell you one of them that stood out to me and I just watched it 3 nights ago. For those of you who yammered me to rewatch it, eat a dick. 2/10
- Cheech and Chong’s Next Movie 1980- I HATE stoner humor and if you need to be in an altered state to find it funny or entertaining (Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, or Seth Rogan), it’s not funny. I gave up after 10-15 minutes as these felt so cheap as well as shitty jokes. It’s just so fucking dopey without any kind of payoff. 1/10